Monday 21 March 2011

Something new and blue...


Today's homemade item for the wedding is the garter! I knew I hated lace/sequins and over the top garters, and I had an idea in my head of exactly what I wanted to create-something classic, not tacky and something timeless enough that I could pass on to someone.

So there are 5 things that make up this project:
1. The Broderie Anglaise cream trimming
2. The Blue & beige striped ribbon
3. The thin blue ribbon
4. Elastic
5. Thread

First of all-the store list. Surprise surprise there are some eBay purchases here:
The Broderie Anglaise was £1.20 from Lynn at CraftsnStuff http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Lynn-at-Craftsnstuff?_trksid=p4340.l2563
The ribbon, which I love, is East of India which I got from Country Bloomers Sidmouth http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Country-Bloomers-Sidmouth?_trksid=p4340.l2563 3m for £2.40
The thin blue ribbon, elastic and thread were all purchased at Dunelm Mill

First step was to cut little holes along the East of India ribbon and thread the thin blue ribbon through as a running stitch. Before I cut the blue ribbon I took where I thought the centre was and pulled the ribbon out further-this leaves enough slack in the ribbon to tie a bow.

I then tacked the East of India ribbon to the Broderie Anglaise and machine stitched them together.

Measuring round my thigh, I cut a piece of elastic the right length-stretched slightly to ensure it would stay up.

The next bit might not be very clear...take each end of the Broderie Anglaise and meet them together, along with the ends of the elastic and machine stitch together so you have two loops: one of broderie Anglaise and one of elastic.

I found the next bit tricky! I had to loop the elastic over my big toe and pull it tight then hand stictch the brodier anglaise/East of India bit to the tight elastic-this bit took the longest!

When you've finished stitching by hand round, let the elastic go and the garter should scrunch up!

I love this one-there is one similar on "Not on the High Street" for £45-and this comes to about a fiver! Bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment